Southern Michigan R...

Southern Michigan Railroad, 18th July 2020  

RSS

Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 25, 2020 2:25 pm  

@kfoisy, @jtori, @panda, @lbloom [Flagging folks that appreciate email notification]

A few from last Saturday's outing with @bdicks, @lcooper, @jweiden, @gdicks.

All shot with the Leica M10 Monochrom + 75mm/1.25 Noctilux.  Raw Conversion in Adobe Camera Raw, Post in Photoshop CS '20.  Capture sharpening with Focalblade 2.11.

All comments and critique welcome and appreciated!

Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0262 1 copy

Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0260 1 copy

Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0183 3 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0185 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0230 2 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0252 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0245 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0258 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0217 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0259 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0266 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0182 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0181 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0242 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0232 1 copy
Clinton MI Old Trains 20200619 0265 1 copy

The more I shoot with this camera and lens the more I am enamored of the combo. 

Cheers!

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Raaj

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
July 25, 2020 7:42 pm  

@rshinde

Beautiful tones Raaj.  

ReplyQuote
Joe Tori
(@jtori)
July 26, 2020 3:12 pm  

This is a lovely set, Raaj.  And, as usual, your PP is exceptional.  The standouts for me compositionally are images 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 12.  From a processing perspective, all the images possess that creamy yet clear quality indicative of large-format; hard to believe they were made using a 24 x 36 sensor.  And, the tonal rendering and dynamic range evoke well-executed zone system prints.  Very nice!

ReplyQuote
Kevin Foisy
(@kfoisy)
July 26, 2020 4:47 pm  

@rshinde

Love the first image. Tonality makes this for me. 

While technically great, most of these don’t really work for me. The subject is literal, and IMO lacks interest. The exception is the second from last (door handles with soft diffused light circles); beautiful and worthy of printing. Very nice. 

ReplyQuote
Donna Macauley
(@dmacauley)
July 27, 2020 7:19 am  

Your B&W post-processing is wonderful. On some of the images, It's as if I could reach out and feel the textures. 

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 27, 2020 11:26 am  

@uswitucha

Thanks, Ulana!

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 27, 2020 11:30 am  
Posted by: @jtori

This is a lovely set, Raaj.  And, as usual, your PP is exceptional.  The standouts for me compositionally are images 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 12.  From a processing perspective, all the images possess that creamy yet clear quality indicative of large-format; hard to believe they were made using a 24 x 36 sensor.  And, the tonal rendering and dynamic range evoke well-executed zone system prints.  Very nice!

@jtori

Thanks much, Joe. Appreciate your kind comments.  You know my influences and the kind of images I like to make well.  I did expose very carefully to ensure the tones feel where I wanted them.  The M10M is a delight to use in this sort of deliberate way.  The files it produces  are also very malleable in post.  Loving the camera!  Wondering if the M10R might be a terrific camera for color landscape work... 🙂

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 27, 2020 11:33 am  
Posted by: @kfoisy

@rshinde

Love the first image. Tonality makes this for me. 

While technically great, most of these don’t really work for me. The subject is literal, and IMO lacks interest. The exception is the second from last (door handles with soft diffused light circles); beautiful and worthy of printing. Very nice. 

@kfoisy.

Thanks for looking and your comments, Kevin.  I intended all these images to be studies of chiaroscuro - light and shadow.  The subject in all of these was intended to be the distribution of tones, light & shade and only that.  I use the geometry and in some cases texture, to play with light and shadow.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 27, 2020 11:36 am  
Posted by: @dmacauley

Your B&W post-processing is wonderful. On some of the images, It's as if I could reach out and feel the textures. 

@dmacauley

Thanks much for your kind comments, Donna.  After what seems like a long time, I'm getting pretty close to being able to produce images that I conceive of, without fighting with Photoshop.  Next turn of the crank is to refine the ability to see and conceptualize beyond today's capabilities....   I sense that's a very long journey! 😀

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Shiv Panda
(@panda)
August 5, 2020 9:00 am  

@rshinde

I love all the pictures. It's so amazing that I kept watching each of the shots. My eyes naturally scanned the shots from top to bottom and side-to-side. Can't explain exactly why it was so pleasing to eye. If you do, I would like to know. 🙂 It's not that the content is foreign, but the details, the lighting, and composition is definitely magnetic. 

ReplyQuote
Janet Weiden
(@jweiden)
August 7, 2020 10:47 pm  

Your photos make me wish I could see and shoot in black and white.

I'm going to start with the only thing that bothers me.  In your 12th picture for me cutting off the words is disturbing.  What I do love about that photo are the scratches around the handles.  Those little scratches tell a long story.  The pictures I like best are:1,3,4,6,9,10,14 and 15.  My 2 favorites are 9 and 10.  The composition in 9 fascinates me.  The horizontal lines with circles and one diagonal line give the photo an interesting dynamic of movement and stasis.  I think this gives the image a lot of energy. 10 is an interesting segment of the train that has so many pieces that my eye keeps going around the picture. While there are a lot of "pieces" to the image, it feels organized and "clean".    I don't need to know that this is part of a train to find it interesting. To me, it's almost, but not quite abstract.  I was attracted to this train as well.  My image is in color but similar to your picture of the train itself.  (Not nearly as good!)

As you know I don't know anything about post processing in black and white.  These images are so appealing, I'm certain it's because you did such a good job of post processing, as everyone else has said.  

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
August 10, 2020 1:54 pm  
Posted by: @panda

@rshinde

I love all the pictures. It's so amazing that I kept watching each of the shots. My eyes naturally scanned the shots from top to bottom and side-to-side. Can't explain exactly why it was so pleasing to eye. If you do, I would like to know. 🙂 It's not that the content is foreign, but the details, the lighting, and composition is definitely magnetic. 

Thanks much, @panda Shiv!  Appreciate your super kind comments.  A few people have asked me what my post processing "recipe" is for my B&W work.  I don't have a set recipe. though I do have a set number f steps that I apply flexibly to every image, not always using all the "steps" techniques.  To keep the eye in the frame, I attempted to dodge/burn, to also lead the eye around in the frame.  Since several people have asked, I"ll post a few OOC views - RAW conversion with all adjustments set to zero and then also the corresponding final image, if that helps.

It's strange (or not!) that a particular camera/lens combo can inspire one to shoot and channel a certain creative impulse.  The Monochroms do that to me...

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
August 10, 2020 2:02 pm  
Posted by: @jweiden

Your photos make me wish I could see and shoot in black and white.

I'm going to start with the only thing that bothers me.  In your 12th picture for me cutting off the words is disturbing.  What I do love about that photo are the scratches around the handles.  Those little scratches tell a long story.  The pictures I like best are:1,3,4,6,9,10,14 and 15.  My 2 favorites are 9 and 10.  The composition in 9 fascinates me.  The horizontal lines with circles and one diagonal line give the photo an interesting dynamic of movement and stasis.  I think this gives the image a lot of energy. 10 is an interesting segment of the train that has so many pieces that my eye keeps going around the picture. While there are a lot of "pieces" to the image, it feels organized and "clean".    I don't need to know that this is part of a train to find it interesting. To me, it's almost, but not quite abstract.  I was attracted to this train as well.  My image is in color but similar to your picture of the train itself.  (Not nearly as good!)

As you know I don't know anything about post processing in black and white.  These images are so appealing, I'm certain it's because you did such a good job of post processing, as everyone else has said.  

Thanks, Janet!  Appreciate your comments.

I cut off the words intentionally in the 12th image.  The composition felt "right" to me that way. Clearly that doesn't work for everybody!

Looking forward to going back to photograph these trains again.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
August 10, 2020 9:31 pm  

Wonderful renditions of a wonderful subject!

2 images stand out for me (I hope I have the sequence numbers right - it's hard to keep count 😎).

#4 - great tonal range and transitions (BTW, the roof is white to help with cooling the car).

#10 - terrific detail and great depth of field.  I'd estimate about 18" to 2' from front of the knuckle back to the front of the engine.

As a sequence of images, I'm not perceiving an order to the flow.  Was one intended?

This post was modified 1 month ago by Lloyd Bloom

ReplyQuote