Trees  

RSS

Ulana
(@uswitucha)
July 4, 2020 12:28 am  

I am in the process of reprocessing images and came across this one.  What attracted me to it were the shapes of the four main trees and it to get the separation of the trunks there was only that one angle.  With the separation of time there is something about the composition that bothers me.  

What do you think. 

DSC 85133x4gc

ReplyQuote
John Motzi
(@jmotzi)
July 4, 2020 8:20 am  

Hi Ulana,

Here is what I see.... The two trees in the middle (the curvy one and the diagonal one) are dancing trees.  Dancing as in ballroom dancing, maybe Salsa or Rumba based on how the curvy tree is twisting its parts.  Or maybe it's on of those dance moves where the man (curvy) drops the woman (diagonal) to the side in a death drop (I don't think that's the correct term) or whatever it's called.  The two trees to the left are beginner dancers - they stand upright and haven'y yet learned how to move in anything but rigid ways.  They are oblivious to the other two trees.  The trees on the right are the audience trees who have gathered to watch Curvy & Diagonal.

You do have tonal separation between trees and snow so you can adjust them without complex masks.  It's easy enough to see how you could send the audience trees backward, making them even less prominent.  The question for me is the relationship between Curvy & Diagonal and the two beginner trees.  Can Curvy & Diagonal come further forward to separate them from The Beginners; or can The Beginners be sent backwards, again to emphasize Curvy & Diagonal. Or maybe Curvy & Diagonal get more color and The Beginners lose color, or.... In any case, it would not be necessary to separate all of the branches, just the main trunks and the two arms of Curvy.

Regardless, you were in the right position to capture the dance.  What Jay Maisel calls "gesture".

JM

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 4, 2020 10:00 am  

@uswitucha

Hi Ulana,

In addition to John's comments, I'll suggest this - a crop removing a significant part of the bottom.  Your original image compositionally bothered me too  and the more I looked at it, the more the negative space at the bottom appeared to skew/unbalance the image.  Something like this, give or take a bit in either direction:

Trees – Photo Critique – Guerbois Cafe Forum

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
July 4, 2020 1:44 pm  

Can we also do poetry critiques on the photo critique site? John has done a masterful job of bringing Ulana‘s image to life.

I confess, though I like the image, I would never have conceived the dance lesson that John has described.

Cheers,
lloyd

This post was modified 3 months ago by Lloyd Bloom

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
July 4, 2020 8:25 pm  

@jmotzi @rshinde @lbloom

Great giggle for a Sunday morning.   Thanks for your input.  Stay tuned........

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
July 5, 2020 5:33 am  

Work in progress.......Moving in the right direction........

DSC 8513vv2

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
July 21, 2020 6:08 am  
Posted by: @jmotzi

Hi Ulana,

Here is what I see.... The two trees in the middle (the curvy one and the diagonal one) are dancing trees.  Dancing as in ballroom dancing, maybe Salsa or Rumba based on how the curvy tree is twisting its parts.  Or maybe it's on of those dance moves where the man (curvy) drops the woman (diagonal) to the side in a death drop (I don't think that's the correct term) or whatever it's called.  The two trees to the left are beginner dancers - they stand upright and haven'y yet learned how to move in anything but rigid ways.  They are oblivious to the other two trees.  The trees on the right are the audience trees who have gathered to watch Curvy & Diagonal.

Regardless, you were in the right position to capture the dance.  What Jay Maisel calls "gesture".

JM

@jmotzi

And a few meters away ............

DSC 8505 Edit

ReplyQuote
John Motzi
(@jmotzi)
July 21, 2020 7:00 am  

@uswitucha

Nice!

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
July 22, 2020 1:00 pm  
Posted by: @uswitucha
Posted by: @jmotzi

Hi Ulana,

JM

@jmotzi

And a few meters away ............

DSC 8505 Edit

@uswitucha

This is a terrific composition, Ulana and I'll bet that it is more compelling in B&W.  

My eye keeps getting drawn to this point:

Trees – Photo Critique – Guerbois Cafe Forum

I wonder if some dodging to make that area more "ghostly" might make a difference.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
July 22, 2020 7:01 pm  

@rshinde

Thank you Raaj. I really appreciate the honest feedback.  

I agree that this would be a nice BW image.  Its part of a portfolio of trees that I have reprocessed over the last month or so. (see website)   Some of the reprocessing took into account @jmotzi's post on colourizing. 

PS Gave up on the Salsa dancers for now.   May go back to them later. 

ReplyQuote