Untitled #1, Januar...

Untitled #1, January 2020  

RSS

Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
January 5, 2020 11:03 am  

An image in a series that I've been wanting to shoot for a while, almost as prep for work in 4x5 film.  I am making progress on that front.  I now have the camera, lens boards, lens, film holders and an holder for 120-roll film.  Waiting for sheet film, chemicals and developing tanks, etc. to show up before that project can commence.

This one was made with the Pentax 645Z + 120mm Macro.  f/8.  8 frames focus stacked with Zerene Stacker using both Dmap and PMax stacking algorithms.  In this case, I prefer the Pmax version.  B&W conversion and post in PC CC20.

All comments/critique welcome!

2020 01 05 10.07 BW 2500

Cheers!

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Raaj

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Larry Leonard
(@lleonard)
January 5, 2020 11:19 am  

@rshinde

HI Raaj,

Very fine work.  B&W floral photography is challenging, and you have developed--note the use of this verb-- an excellent image.

The full tonal range is impressively utilized to move the viewer into the flower's center.  I also observe the pleasing texture in the petals.

The stem high lights seems to be a bit distracting.  Perhaps trying revealing a bit more of the stem--but not much.  Also, the border is too wide for my tastes and seems to compete for the viewers eye's.  However, I like skinny borders.   

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
January 5, 2020 12:14 pm  
Posted by: @lleonard

@rshinde

HI Raaj,

Very fine work.  B&W floral photography is challenging, and you have developed--note the use of this verb-- an excellent image.

The full tonal range is impressively utilized to move the viewer into the flower's center.  I also observe the pleasing texture in the petals.

The stem high lights seems to be a bit distracting.  Perhaps trying revealing a bit more of the stem--but not much.  Also, the border is too wide for my tastes and seems to compete for the viewers eye's.  However, I like skinny borders.   

@lleonard

Thanks, Larry.  Appreciate your thoughts.  I decided to leave the stem and parts of the leaves as highly muted in the image.  I wanted to break the negative space and also anchor the flower to the bottom of the frame with just a hint of the stem.

I am planning to reshoot this with a different macro lens and the Leica M246 Monochrom to see what happens.  Hope to share some more images later today.

Re:Frame, it looks like Wordpress is adding a white frame that I did not add.  The frame I added was the thin 128 Gray frame.  You can see the frame as I intended it if you click on the image for a larger version.   I will eliminate the frame entirely in the next set of images.

Cheers!

This post was modified 3 months ago by Raaj

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
January 5, 2020 11:06 pm  

Beautiful image Raaj.  I like the stem and leaves as it gives context.  On my screen the highlights are a bit bright especially at the top of the flower.  

Ulana

ReplyQuote
John Motzi
(@jmotzi)
January 6, 2020 12:00 pm  

@rshinde

Just curious - did you achieve this effect with lighting or post?

JM

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
January 8, 2020 7:14 am  
Posted by: @uswitucha

Beautiful image Raaj.  I like the stem and leaves as it gives context.  On my screen the highlights are a bit bright especially at the top of the flower.  

Ulana

@uswitucha

Hi Ulana,

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, the top of the flower has highlight that are pretty bright.  I was experimenting with curves to closely emulate Adox 100 film, which is one of on my favorite films.  I might revisit this in a few weeks.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
January 8, 2020 7:16 am  
Posted by: @jmotzi

@rshinde

Just curious - did you achieve this effect with lighting or post?

JM

Hi John,

About 90% lighting and 10% post.  The fibre-optic arms on the halogen light source which has continuous brightness control allows for a large latitude in controlling the light.  I find this device very useful for this sort of photography.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Char Davies
(@cdavies)
January 23, 2020 8:37 pm  

Total techie question - have you processed a focus stacked with Helicon Focus? How does is compare with Zerene Stacker? 

ReplyQuote
Raaj
 Raaj
(@rshinde)
January 24, 2020 10:35 am  
Posted by: @cdavies

Total techie question - have you processed a focus stacked with Helicon Focus? How does is compare with Zerene Stacker? 

Hi Char,

I have a license of Helicon Focus.  I stopped using it when I found that with some of my microscopy images, Zerene gave better results.  I can fire up Helicon and see what it does with this stack.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote