May 2017 Photo Chal...

May 2017 Photo Challenge - Primary Color  

RSS

Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
April 29, 2017 2:45 pm  

Trees are in bloom and flowers are popping out here in Michigan, and that gets me thinking about color.  Color is everywhere, and this assignment could be only about blooms, but it is about color anywhere.  And, not just any color.

This challenge is about primary colors, specifically the pigment primaries of Red, Yellow, and Blue, pastel or vibrant or in between, saturated or not, but recognized as R, Y, and B.  We are looking for a set of three images that go well together, either composited as below, or presented as 3 separate images, whatever you are comfortable with, as long as they are part of the same primary color story.

RYB-1

These are from the trans-terminal tunnel at Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), backlit sculpted glass.  Shot in 2008 with my first digital camera, a Minolta Image 7Hi.

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
May 14, 2017 7:17 pm  

Okay, so you're a landscape photographer and you're struggling to find relevance in something as elemental as primary colors.  Here's an idea.  How about one of those ethereal black & white landscape photos from Hokkaido or of American mountains reflected in a lake.  Combine those with subtle split-toning (see article referenced by Ulana), same image 3 times with tonal shifts.

I can't think of a landscape image I have right off the bat, so here is a set of close-up graffiti  images to remind you of the challenge and encourage you to find a way to think primary.

RYB Grafitti Crack

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
May 17, 2017 3:44 am  

<p><p>Chinese temples tend to be very colourful.  These images were taken at two local temples that I visited today with this challenge in mind.  Untitled-2</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Untitled-1</p></p>

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
May 17, 2017 6:09 pm  

I like these - good rich colors!  Anybody else out there using their camera or sifting through their catalogs?

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
May 17, 2017 6:19 pm  

So, my last submission was kind of lame.  Let me try again.  For this one, I tried to learn something from Char and his multiple exposures.  Taken from just inches away with my 100mm macro and rotating about 1 degree for five impressions, each.  Like the images above, these were taken from graffiti on a railroad bridge abutment at Argo Dam in Ann Arbor, one of my favorite and most convenient places to shoot.

170515-RYB Argo-109170515-RYB Argo-111170515-RYB Argo-113

ReplyQuote
Ulana
(@uswitucha)
May 18, 2017 1:11 am  

I like the previous submissions and this one very much for their creativity and texture.  They could all be mistaken for paintings.  Its fun to discover new techniques and to experiment.

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
May 22, 2017 6:02 pm  

Last week on the May photo challenge - primary colors.  Walk in your gardens and get inspired!

And, any takers for setting the June photo challenge?

Cheers,
lloyd

ReplyQuote