Midland Balloon Fes...

Midland Balloon Festival - 14-17 Sept 2017  

RSS

Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
June 4, 2017 6:49 pm  

For those in the SE Michigan / Toledo area, you might find the Midland Balloon Festival a fun fall activity.

Raaj called me tonight to discuss going to a balloon festival a few miles up the road at the end of June, but it turns out that we will both be at a set of workshops in Chicago that weekend.  That reminded me of a balloon expedition I went on in 2010 in Midland, Michigan.

I was there with a Nikonians user group, just getting the feel of what it is like to go shoot with other photographers (I had been a lone cowboy photographer for 40 years before that 🤠).  This surely opened my eyes to camaraderie in photography.

You can see a few images of the 2010 festival here to get a feel of what you might see, in case you haven't been to one before.

And here is one example to inspire your participation - maybe not what you were expecting, as it could also be in an "abstract" category.

LFB_4993Cheers,
lloyd

ReplyQuote
Lucia Cooper
(@lcooper)
June 4, 2017 6:54 pm  

Lloyd,

That is a dynamite image. Of course, I would be interested in going to the Midland Balloon Fest.

Lucia

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
September 7, 2017 5:39 pm  

Time flies, and the balloon festival is almost upon us.  It starts a week from today, but for those of us still working for a living, Saturday is the day. At least that is what I am aiming for.

Anyone in the SE Michigan area should want to come (Janet, Lucia, Alekhya, Raaj, Herb, Pat, Joe, Shyju), and why not from Chicago (Kerry).  Did I miss anybody in a 4-hour driving radius?🤠

Here is the agenda.

I'm not sure I'm up for the early morning competitive balloon flight (getting up at 5:00 for 2-hour drive), but it is fun to see how close balloons can land to a target.  And, depending on flight path (usually from the west, but depends on wind) and height of sun, there could be some fun colors.

But, I will certainly be there for the Main event at 6, followed by the "Amazing Balloon Glow".

If you come earlier in the day, then you might want to see what to photograph around Midland, although I haven't researched the opportunities, other than the "tridge" (google it).

When I went in 2010, we were allowed access to the balloon launch area, which enabled more flexibility in composition.  I have inquired about that tonight and will keep you posted as to response.

Also, note that the price of admission is a non-perishable food item.  Great deal!

Let me know who is interested and when you'd like to arrive.

Cheers,
ll

ReplyQuote
Shyju Krishnankutty
(@shyjuk)
September 11, 2017 9:24 am  

I would like to go, but in the evening. planning to be there around 5ish.

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
September 11, 2017 5:58 pm  

Good deal, Shyju.  As I hear back from more people, I'll email those who can come with ideas for meeting up while there - It's not a huge venue, so I'm sure we'll connect.  Raaj may be coming as well - he's 60% right now.

ReplyQuote
Shyju Krishnankutty
(@shyjuk)
September 17, 2017 4:04 pm  

This was a good trip and i really enjoyed the experience. The performance by windjammers kite team was very impressive.

MidLandBalloonFest2017

ReplyQuote
Lloyd Bloom
(@lbloom)
September 18, 2017 5:34 pm  

Shyju, you captured the uplifting experience of a terrific late summer's day.  I look forward to seeing how some of your wide angle shots from the ground came out.  (BTW, please post those to either Photo Sharing or Photo Critique so they don't get lost at the bottom of a post liked this.)

I hope to make some progress this week on my photos (and maybe videos) so that GCers can see the Windjammer kites that you mentioned.  Who would have thought that the kites would steal the show from the balloons.  Stay posted, folks.

Cheers,
lloyd

ReplyQuote